English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What noun means "the state of being intrigued/amazed by something"?

For example, the state of being poor is poverty.

Is there such a word for being intrigued/amazed?

share|improve this question

This may be a bit too direct, but

The exact word which fits your purpose best will depend on the context, but in my mind amazement simply implies being surprised, shocked, or dazzled while the other words imply that as well as an intense interest to discover more about the subject. In that sense curiosity, wonder, and fascination are broader, more encompassing terms than mere amazement.

Any of them would probably be a good fit, but fascination seems to come closest to expressing the same 'dazzled' sense as amazement, while also expressing intrigue.

share|improve this answer
+1 for fascination – Jim May 7 '13 at 4:18

You might consider:

awe (n) 1. A mixed emotion of reverence, respect, dread, and wonder inspired by authority, genius, great beauty, sublimity, or might: We felt awe when contemplating the works of Bach. The observers were in awe of the destructive power of the new weapon.

share|improve this answer
+1 Awe is good, but to me it suffers the same problem as amazement--merely describing the emotional surprise of being amazed, and not the interest to discover implied by being intrigued. – p.s.w.g May 7 '13 at 4:07
@p.s.w.g You read my mind! I did want to stress the interest to discover. – One Two Three May 7 '13 at 4:51

May I recommend wonderment:

wonderment, n.:

1 astonishment, awe, or puzzlement

2 something that produces wonder; a marvel

Note that wonderment captures both astonishment and puzzlement, a close cousin to intrigue (which M-W defines as "to arouse the interest, desire, or curiosity of (as by beguiling or baffling)").

share|improve this answer
This was going to be my response too. – moonstar2001 May 7 '13 at 6:57

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.