English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

A big black vehicle rumbles through the streets of the slum. Its battered exterior is encrusted with dust.

"Encrusted" means that water or oil has been combined with dust (or something) and then applied to an object and allowed to dry as a crust. So I think "encrusted with dust" has to be wrong, but "encrusted with mud" could work. Am I right?

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by MετάEd, Andrew Leach, Mitch, Kris, Kristina Lopez May 6 '13 at 17:26

Questions on English Language & Usage Stack Exchange are expected to relate to English language and usage within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Off topic (proofreading request). Incidentally, the text is fine. – MετάEd May 5 '13 at 19:35
The use of "encrusted" is not the issue with that. – mattacular May 5 '13 at 20:53
Could just say 'dusty' if you want to keep the dust. Or 'grimy'. – lessthanideal May 5 '13 at 21:24
"Encrusted" does not require mixing anything with anything. Neither water nor oil (nor dust, for that matter) need to be included in the process of applying a crust to an object. You can encrust salmon with crushed macadamia nuts, and you can encrust a lamppost with partially melted English toffee, if you so desire. – John M. Landsberg May 6 '13 at 6:08
"means that water or oil has been combined" -- no. So voting close as NARQ. – Kris May 6 '13 at 6:18

According to Macmillan, "encrusted" means "covered with a hard layer of something."

Therefore it can be used as a reference to the dust covering the vehicle.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.