English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If not, is it well readable anyway?

"Ray tracer" seems to be used more frequently but this is not my question.

An example sentence could be:

A raytracer is a computer program that uses an algorithm where light rays are traced back to their origin to create realistic 2D images from 3D scenes.

share|improve this question
It would help if you included a definition and example of it. – Tristan May 2 '13 at 15:12
I believe POV-Ray, which has been around since 1989, has always called itself "raytracer", one word. This sort of wavering between two-word, hyphenated-word and single-word forms is normal in the first generation after a new term is introduced. – StoneyB May 2 '13 at 15:59
up vote 3 down vote accepted

You certainly wouldn't be misunderstood if you used raytrace, raytracer, or raytracing in your writing.

If you peruse the comp.graphics.raytracing newsgroup, you'll see that it's pretty common to write the terms as closed compounds (one word, unhyphenated).

share|improve this answer
Interesting fact. Nevertheless, I am not sure whether the word exists. I did not find it in any dictionaries. – Julius Kunze May 3 '13 at 6:58
@JuliusKunze: Words exist even if they're not (yet) in the dictionary. – Hugo May 3 '13 at 11:05
@JuliusKunze: like Hugo and StoneyB said, and it's been around since at least 1989. If anyone's got a 1990 1st edition copy of Foley, van Dam, Feiner, Hughes, they might check if they use the term. – smci Oct 11 '13 at 9:39

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.