English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've been researching some stuff about a certain game's probability systems and there are many cases when.... I can't really put it into words, so here's an example:

15% + 60% = 75%

15% is the base percentage, and it is often called so in the description text. The 60% in its own context is also called a percentage (but never with the base word). And the formula for the total chance is:

Resulting Percentage = (Base + X) * Multiplier

Without X being explicitly called anything comprehensible.

What should the X thing be called?

share|improve this question
Maybe I should be asking this on a math related site? – user1306322 May 2 '13 at 5:53
At the very least it can be called an addend – Jim May 2 '13 at 6:38
I would probably call it the supplemental percentage. – Ste May 2 '13 at 7:44
Probabilities are only added when the events are entirely independent, so it could simply be called the other percentage. – Andrew Leach May 2 '13 at 8:00
What is the cause of the additional percentage? Does it depend on something? That's where I'd start with coming up with the word. If it's an RPG game it could be a character skill bonus or class modifier, or perhaps it's a weapon modifier. If the number doesn't change then it would be part of the base percentage – so why does the number change? – ghoppe May 2 '13 at 17:15
up vote 1 down vote accepted

As mentioned by ghoppe, I've always seen that portion labeled as modifier.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.