English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Recently, I realized that pronunciations of the reduction gotta in GB and US English are different.

Could you suggest to me, please, any tutorial explaining pronunciation of this and other such shortenings? It would be nice to find something with audio also. Usual textbooks avoid this subject since it is related to informal language, and it is very hard for me to get correct pronunciation from movies or TV series.

share|improve this question
Don't have time to get into a full answer but what you're referring to is glottalisation. English: "gotta". Cockney/Estuary English: "go'a". American English: "godda". It's not because it's a shortening, but rather how the accents interact with the words. You'll find the same thing with "bottle" and "pitter-patter", for example. – Samthere Apr 26 '13 at 15:45
@Samthere That comment is easily enough for an answer, and I'd upvote it. You should post. You can always come back and edit it for thoroughness later. – kenbellows Apr 26 '13 at 16:19
Try a dictionary like OALD for pronunciation audio :) – aedia λ Apr 26 '13 at 17:28
Tell me more about "it is very hard for me to get correct pronunciation from movies or TV series." Is it because it goes by too quickly? If so, I would suggest podcasts. You can slow them down 20%. You can hit "pause" whenever you need to. You can back up and listen again. I think the best kind would be the ones that come with a transcript. Here's one possibility: Democracy Now. I believe they post full transcripts along with the podcasts. – aparente001 Mar 31 '15 at 6:28
up vote 1 down vote accepted

The sound we use for this in American English is the alveolar flap. Knowing this name should help you find references that will help you (c.f. Wikipedia, for example).

I think of this substitution of the flap for both voiced and voiceless alveolar plosives between vowels in casual speech as a form of assimilation where we simplify the pronunciation into something very close to a liquid.

share|improve this answer

if you are searching for a direct Britain/American pronunciation, I get you this advise: try with wordreference.com You can choose between the two ways. There are not all the words, but surely the most important

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.