English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there any specific word for a portion of a house either attached with main building or at the back of the house having one or two rooms specifically for guests?

share|improve this question
Typically these are just called "guest rooms" or "spare rooms". There is probably a word that would work for this, but it certainly isn't widely used. – samuelAndThe Apr 23 '13 at 16:52
@dotsamuelswan: Yeah, like guest wing, or guest apartment(s). – Cerberus Apr 23 '13 at 17:04
In the US, if there is a bedroom and bathroom (and possibly other rooms) that are just for guests, these are sometimes called in-law apartments. – Kit Z. Fox Apr 23 '13 at 18:19
@KitFox: Yes, or inlaw suite. There are quite a few variants‌​, all readily understandable. – J.R. Apr 23 '13 at 23:53
What about annexe? Or 'annexe' is something else? – Kashif Apr 24 '13 at 16:34

Guest quarters would work

I found this definition on a website discussing local zoning laws:

The current land use code does allow guest quarters, however, meaning the rooms are attached to the family home. The code says, "The single-family character of the structure must be maintained by providing one main entrance to the structure, one set of utility meters and one address for the property."

share|improve this answer

A guesthouse normally implies a detached structure, which is what I think you mean by "at the back of the house."

A guest room would cover this case:

a bedroom in a home not regularly occupied by a member of the household and kept primarily for guests [M-W]

share|improve this answer
And if it is more than one room, it could be a guest suite or guest ensuite. – JLG Apr 24 '13 at 14:20
Is 'annexe' a word for this? I have heard few people using it like. We have annexe so you can stay there. – Kashif Apr 24 '13 at 16:34
The word is annex; it might also called an addition. It tends to imply that the hosts added a room to their house. – Gnawme Apr 24 '13 at 16:55

My town regulations says,

A single detached auxiliary habitable unit may be allowed with living space no more than 800 sq ft.

share|improve this answer

The word lodging might be appropriate, albeit a bit old-fashioned if it is required in a modern context.

Definition of LODGING
1) a : a place to live : dwelling
     b : lodgment
2) a (1) : sleeping accommodations, "found lodging in the barn" (2) : a temporary place to stay, "a lodging for the night"
     b : a room in the house of another used as a residence —usually used in plural

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.