English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a word to describe a gathering lump of water hanging on a surface that has not yet produced a droplet? Imagine a small pool of water without the surface upon which it's resting.

share|improve this question

I agree with camelbrush's answer, but I also thought of the less technical word of bead.

As a noun, bead means:

any small globular or cylindrical body, as a drop of liquid or a bubble in an effervescent liquid: beads of sweat.

As a verb, bead means:

to bead, to form into beads or drops

I think of a bead as a droplet forming, but before it drops as a droplet.

share|improve this answer

The word you are looking for is pendant as in this wiki entry, and I remember it from physics lectures about surface tension. But technically, a pendant is also a drop, and a drop is defined as :

A drop or droplet is a small column of liquid, bounded completely or almost completely by free surfaces. A drop may form when liquid accumulates at the lower end of a tube or other surface boundary, producing a hanging drop called a pendant drop.

Also, there is an adjective: Pendent, which is used for anything hanging down.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.