English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What do you call a person who sees illusions or hallucinates?

  • Crazy?
  • Hallucinator? (Is this even a word?)
  • Insane?
  • Freak?
  • Something else?
share|improve this question

closed as not a real question by MετάEd, Matt E. Эллен, tchrist, Kristina Lopez, FumbleFingers Apr 24 '13 at 13:02

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Your question will get downvotes because it is very contentious. The details / description pathologize the individual, implying that they-themselves are 'broken' or have another form of fundamental wrongness, and that visions and other seeing-things is a strictly "bad". – New Alexandria Apr 21 '13 at 17:32
I rather fancy the word hallucinatrix, and think it should be made the standard, gender-neutral, hallucinatory term for a person who persistently hallucinates. After all, there aren't many good places to deploy the -trix suffix any more, and it'd be a shame to lose it. Plus, I like the sound of the word; final /iks/ sounds so official. – John Lawler Apr 21 '13 at 18:57
I mean... "Freak"....? .... really? I am disappoint. This question si so far from medicine or PC that it hurts. – New Alexandria Apr 22 '13 at 6:00
up vote 6 down vote accepted

According to the OED, that would be "hallucinator" or "hallucinant", unless you were looking for a "day dreamer" or "fantasist."

share|improve this answer

Though it lacks the derogatory connotation of your question, the most-commonly used word I have seen is


if your context demands that you convey their situation as an illness, then you can call them

  • episodic
  • ill

Either is particularly relevant to wellness-classifications, as they address the (usually) transient nature of hallucinations.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.