English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is it called when a worker is paid a different hourly-rate for doing different things during their shift?

The reason I'm asking is I want to learn a bit more about how payroll is calculated when people get paid different rates for doing different jobs at an hourly rate, and would like to know the common term for that so I could search and read up on the subject.

share|improve this question

migrated from workplace.stackexchange.com Apr 12 '13 at 15:25

This question came from our site for members of the workforce navigating the professional setting.

I think this is what I was looking for... payscale.com/compensation-today/2011/03/… – leeand00 Apr 10 '13 at 22:20
Position differential but I do not know that it is the standard or that there is a standard term for this like Overtime, or Hazard Pay. – Chad Apr 11 '13 at 18:28
"Gainfully Employed"? "Multi-talented"? "Two Jobs in One Company"? – jmac Apr 12 '13 at 0:48
Hi Lee, is there a reason why you're asking this? Is there perhaps a deeper problem you're hoping to solve? If so, I suggest a little more explanation in the body of the post, as it will help understand why you're asking this and also may help others locate this in Google searches. – jmort253 Apr 12 '13 at 3:23
@jmort253 The reason I'm asking is so I can learn a bit more about how payroll is calculated when people get paid different rates for doing different jobs at an hourly rate. So I wanted to know the common term for that so I could read up on the subject. – leeand00 Apr 12 '13 at 11:58

That's actually a very uncommon thing in the U.S. because of employment law. Calculating overtime in those situations is difficult and having a policy like that can put employers into bad legal situations.

To further complicate things, each state has different rules, there is no common terminology, and in fact sometimes it's addressed by case-law rather than actually being addressed by written employment law.

Terms that you might try looking up are "scaled", "blended", "differential", "weighted" associated with "pay", "payscale", "rate", or "wage".

This isn't a topic that's easily googled. You'll want to go directly to accounting or HR online communities.

share|improve this answer

Your link suggests that you are interested in legalese; if that’s the case, I cannot help you much.

But since you’re asking for terms...

  • I presume that you are familiar with overtime.  Since you mention “doing different things during their shift”, I doubt that this is what you’re looking for.

  • differential pay seems to be a generic / umbrella term for a pay rate other than the standard rate.  I believe that it is most commonly used to refer to different rates for different shifts (e.g., night shift typically gets paid more than day shift), so, again, I believe that this isn’t what you want.

  • incentive pay is usually associated with performance (i.e., results); e.g., “You’ll get an extra forty-two zorkmids in your paycheck this week if you finish this report today.”  I would expect this to be offered as a lump sum rather than a higher pay rate.
  • bonus pay is similar to differential pay. While “a bonus” is almost always paid as a lump sum, I wouldn’t be surprised to hear a higher rate of pay (e.g., for especially difficult, unpleasant, or even dangerous assignments) referred to as “bonus pay”.  (But see also hazard pay or “hazardous duty pay”.)

And of course I’d be making an error of omission if I didn’t mention commission.  :)

share|improve this answer
Hazard pay. Combat pay. Perhaps name it for whatever quality makes it worth more. – GEdgar Apr 13 '13 at 1:45

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.