English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Often when writing we would like numbers to be written out fully e.g. thirty rather than in digits e.g. 30. Is there a name for this kind of representation?

share|improve this question
"Numeral" is close, defining anything that represents a specific number. – samuelAndThe Apr 12 '13 at 13:59
You just used "written out". I'd say you are already using the term you are looking for. – RegDwigнt Apr 12 '13 at 14:30
I just can't see why would anyone downvote this. At the same time, silly questions with no use to anyone get upvoted to the sky. And this has been taken on on meta. I'm just making a statement. – Tiberiu-Ionuț Stan Apr 12 '13 at 22:03
up vote 3 down vote accepted

The phrase spelled out is sometimes used; eg,

In your paragraph, spell out the digits under 10.

This usage is from the sense “To write or say the letters that form a word or part of a word” or the sense “Of letters: to compose (a word)” of the verb spell.

share|improve this answer

Longhand is the word I have heard used for this, though the definition does not specify the writing out of numbers.

share|improve this answer

I believe what you're looking for is whether numbers are written in cardinal form (one, two, three, etc.) or ordinal form (first, second, third, etc.)...?

share|improve this answer

The simplest way to express this idea would be "verbal representation" (as opposed to numerical representation). It's difficult to find a single word to express the concept adequately.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.