Sign up ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've seen terms such as "Associate Engineer", "Assistant Engineer", "Senior Enigneer" but I'm yet to find a ranked list of such terms.

In a word-for-word translation for similar ranks in Brazil, we have:

  • Engineering Intern — 5-year engineering graduation still in course;
  • Engineering Trainee — fresh out of a 5-year engineering course;
  • Junior Engineer — fresh out of the course, licensed (no experience is required for a license here);
  • Full Engineer — at least 3 to 5 years of experience in their field;
  • Senior Engineer — at least 10 years of experience, though time is less of a factor;
  • Specialist Engineer — shows deep knowledge on specific parts of their field.

What would be the ranks used in English and associated experience/requirements?

share|improve this question

closed as too localized by Robusto, Rory Alsop, Kristina Lopez, Mitch, Lynn Apr 11 '13 at 13:54

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

This is really too narrow in scope for this site. – Robusto Apr 11 '13 at 11:48
This sounds too much like named experience levels for some hypothetical Engineer character class in somebody’s Dungeons and Dragons campaign. :) – tchrist Apr 11 '13 at 12:04
Different organization will make up their own hierarchies. There's also 'Principal Engineer' or 'Chief Engineer'. Some government agencies have Engineer I, II, II, etc. It's a mess! – Mitch Apr 11 '13 at 13:17
I tried to narrow the question down after this one got closed for being too broad:… – Carlos Vieira Apr 11 '13 at 23:47

1 Answer 1

We really don’t much do ranks or titles in English, let alone have any sort of formal definition for the same.

The most you’re apt to get is “Member of Technical Staff”, with postfixed numbers like MTS-1, MTS-2, MTS-3, MTS-4, sometimes written in Roman numerals instead. How those are defined is completely up to each business; they have no formal meanings.

Note also that in some jurisdictions, it may be illegal to call yourself an engineer without a licence to that effect granted by the appropriate state certification body. This is similar to what happens with physicians and attorneys. The intent is to help prevent bridge disasters and the like caused by fly-by-nights trying to pass themselves off as competent to do work that involves public safety.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.