English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When writing a letter it typically starts out "Dear..." and then has the content, then before you sign it you might have a formal or informal (depending on who you're writing to) sign off, for example:

blah blah blah letter content blah blah.

Kind regards/Many thanks/Best wishes/Cheers!/etc

Does this final closing portion of your letter have a name?

For comparison, the middle portion of the letter is the body and the opener could be described as a greeting or, more accurately, the salutation. but I don't think this last bit could be called a farewell as such.

So what should it be called?

share|improve this question
As an aside, the middle portion of a letter is usually called the "body" of the letter. The opening is commonly called the "Salutation" though "Greeting" is also acceptable. – OneProton Feb 2 '11 at 21:03
up vote 10 down vote accepted

I have always heard the "Sincerely, Joe Smith" part of a letter called the closing.

(And the part you describe as the greeting ("Dear Mr. Blahblah") I'm used to calling the salutation.)

share|improve this answer
Yep, in fact, when searching Google, you would search for "How can I best 'close a letter'" Described as a closing here: wisegeek.com/what-should-i-include-in-a-personal-letter.htm Some ways you can close a letter: 5steps2english.com/forums/… – OneProton Feb 2 '11 at 21:00
As one example of the usage in practice of those terms, Microsoft Word has had built-in styles with those names for years. – Brian Nixon Feb 2 '11 at 21:06

It's called a valediction or a complimentary close. The opening phrase is called a salutation.

share|improve this answer
This. +1. – RegDwigнt Feb 3 '11 at 9:09

I would describe it as a "valedictory"..."farewell words".

share|improve this answer

Valediction would be correct although it is neither used as frequently nor as familiarly as the term, "salutation" (which describes the beginning greeting). I suppose we have E.B. White's "Charlotte" to thank for that.

share|improve this answer

protected by tchrist Mar 1 '15 at 19:10

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.