English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

It's possible to informally use the word credit to mean a token that can be exchanged for something.

Is there a noun that means a used credit token?

share|improve this question
In such contexts, it's more common to use "concrete" nouns such as token or voucher. If the word credit is used, it's more likely to be as an adjective - credit voucher, credit slip, credit note, etc. I don't think there's a single word in common use to mean a used / expired (or otherwise invalid) object that previously represented [a] credit. In context, a dud would probably be understood. – FumbleFingers Apr 8 '13 at 16:45
"Redeemed" applies to credit tokens that have been exchanged for something. But that is an adjective. – Canis Lupus Apr 8 '13 at 17:29
A punched ticket would be a recognizable phrase for a used credit. – JLG Apr 9 '13 at 13:57
How about a depleted token? – GEdgar May 8 '13 at 18:39
@GEdgar that works, but that's an adjective that modifies the noun. I was looking for a single noun to describe it, if there is one. – StuperUser May 9 '13 at 11:48

I don't know of a specific word for the purpose, but consider the following, especially relict and stub.

relict, “Something which, or someone who, survives or remains or is left over”
remnant, “The small portion remaining of a larger thing or group”
oddment, “Something left over, such as a piece of cloth; a remnant or offcut”
residual, “A remainder left over at the end of some process”, or residue, “Whatever remains after something else has been removed”
husk, “Any form of useless, dried-up, and subsequently worthless exterior of something”
stub, “A piece of certain paper items, designed to be torn off and kept for record or identification purposes [eg] check stub, ticket stub, payment stub”
dreg, “...the lowest and most worthless part of something”
and, as suggested by FumbleFingers,
dud, “A device or machine that is useless because it does not work properly or has failed to work...” or “A lottery ticket that does not give a payout”

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.