English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If I am discussing a book that uses Roman numerals to break sections, would it be correct to say that the book uses

Roman numeraled sections


Roman numbered sections?

I can't find many credible uses of "numeraled", and "numbered" doesn't sound right.

share|improve this question
Interestingly, there are some instances of Roman-numeralled out there. Notice the double-L and the hyphen. – tchrist Apr 5 '13 at 18:29
That's encouraging. Does that, then, give credence to "parallelled"? – tylerharms Apr 5 '13 at 18:38
I did see this too. – tylerharms Apr 5 '13 at 18:39
Yes, certainly you find people using parallelled. – tchrist Apr 5 '13 at 18:42

Here is the Definition of numeral:

noun: a figure, symbol, or group of figures or symbols denoting a number. a word expressing a number.
adjective: of or denoting a number.

So, it be wrong to use a past tense of numeral. And have a look at this ngram which suggests that Roman numbered, or Roman numeraled don't really have any appearances in books (agreeing to what you found out).
enter image description here
So I would rather go along what @gmcgath suggests and use an alternative like:

  1. the book uses sections numbered in Roman numerals.
  2. the book uses sections with Roman numerals.
  3. the book uses sections divided (grouped) into Roman numerals.


share|improve this answer

I don't think either of those is right. It needs an adverb, and "Romanly numbered" would be even worse. I'd say "numbered in Roman numerals."

share|improve this answer
I am trying to stick with the accusative construction; I've already referred to "longer numbered sections" in an earlier sentence, and I'm trying to keep that structure. "Romanly" sounds strange, though, referring to numerals. Maybe for discussing people, it'd be appropriate. – tylerharms Apr 5 '13 at 18:30
Why would it require an adverb? We don't say that a watch is goldly plated or that the potatoes are frenchly fried. – choster Apr 5 '13 at 18:34
"Gold-plated" and "French fried" are idioms (and the first involves a noun, not an adjective). There isn't a general rule that an adjective can be put before a participial adjective. "Chinese cooked" or "acoustic recorded" would be wrong. – gmcgath Apr 5 '13 at 19:07
@gmcgath But that is my point. Roman numeral is just as idiomatic a concept as either of the other terms, and others like Roman candle or Roman holiday. And whether the plate in gold-plated is a noun or a verb depends on one's interpretation. – choster Apr 5 '13 at 19:37
It needs an adjectival, and since Roman-numeralllled / Romanly-numerallllled etc are non-standard, we should use one of the post-modifier adjectivals suggested by camelbrush. – Edwin Ashworth Apr 5 '13 at 21:46

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.