English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In computer networking, assume that I'm waiting for packets which are ordered by sequence number. First I get sequence number 1, and then 2, then 3 …

Assume that I now have 99 packets and I'm waiting for the packet with sequence number 100. If I get a packet with sequence number 50, since I have received it already, I say this packet is an obsolete packet or lagging packet. But if I get a packet with sequence number 200, how do I describe it? An advanced packet?

share|improve this question
They are simply called "out of order packets". If you get a packet that has already been received, it's a "redundant packet". See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_packet for more information. A nework that cannot guarantee services is called "unreliable". Transport layer protocols correct for this. – Canis Lupus Apr 6 '13 at 1:37
Why the down vote? Any difficulty in understanding it? – Kris Apr 6 '13 at 12:22
By the way, it would if at all, be an advance packet, without the d. – Kris Apr 6 '13 at 12:27
I'm not at all versed in computer networking, but my inclination would be to call it a "premature" or "early" packet. – onomatomaniak Apr 6 '13 at 17:37
@Jim I agree with redundant packet as being the normal way of calling such packets for us. But that's a combined term which accounts for both the scenarios: when an already received packet comes back again, or even when a packet comes in way ahead of its sequence. I guess, the OP is trying to get a specific word. <br> But yes, for me, while talking in the engineering field, I would go ahead and just call them redundant packets. – camelbrush Apr 11 '13 at 14:35

I think that a premature packet would probably be the best way to describe this.

share|improve this answer

Oh boy! this reminds me of school again. Anyways, for the packets that are yet to arrive or the packets that are to come we can call them a number of things like: (some have examples depicting its usage)

  1. successive packets: usage example.
  2. leading packets: usage example.
  3. Subsequent packets: Do a ctrl+f for subsequent and you'll find its usage example.
    Here is another example.

I used to just call them all (leading or trailing) as out of sync bits. I had one more commonly used word on the tip of my tongue. Will come back and post it here, if I remember it.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.