English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My wife and I share the abbreviated form of our name - Alex derived from Alexandra and Alexander respectively. As we are married, we have the same christian and surname when used in the short form.

I was wondering if anyone is aware of a term for this? I would assume one exists because I know of several examples i.e. Sam(antha) and Sam(uel) Clark the chefs who are known as Sam and Sam Clark.

Many thanks for any assistance.

share|improve this question
I’d say the term for that situation is confusing. :) – tchrist Apr 4 '13 at 21:33
Why bring religion into it? – Robusto Apr 4 '13 at 21:43
@Robusto He didn’t. – tchrist Apr 4 '13 at 22:27
@tchrist - yep, very surprised by the number of people who don't understand the distinction between Alexandra and Alexander. – Alex Apr 4 '13 at 22:44
@SouthpawHare: almost worth an ELU question...I looked it up...it's an older (currently not common )way of referring to given name ('first name' in English culture) as opposed to family name ('last name'). – Mitch Apr 5 '13 at 3:20

We just say we're in a same-name relationship.

Chris and Chris

share|improve this answer

How about homonymic, the adjective form of homonym, meaning "same name."

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.