English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How to say removing redundancy and/or duplicate entries from a list of items with a single word?

share|improve this question
Is this a programming question? short_list = unique(long_list); is the normal idiom. – tchrist Apr 4 '13 at 17:44
No, it's not a programming question. – qazwsx Apr 4 '13 at 18:05
That's too bad because uniquifying is good and proper programming slang for the process: en.wiktionary.org/wiki/uniquify – Wayfaring Stranger Apr 4 '13 at 18:40
up vote 4 down vote accepted


To eliminate redundant duplicate data from.

share|improve this answer
Funny that it isn’t unduplicate. – tchrist Apr 4 '13 at 18:06
@tchrist I would speculate that this is because the data haven't been actively duplicated, rather there just happen to be duplicates. There is no act of duplication to reverse as an un- prefix would imply, perhaps. – donothingsuccessfully Apr 4 '13 at 19:15
@tchrist I appears I'm wrong about un- and de- :english.stackexchange.com/questions/25941/… – donothingsuccessfully Apr 4 '13 at 19:19

"Pruning" a list or database is an expression I've heard several times.

share|improve this answer
"Pruning" doesn't necessarily imply removing duplicates; it could also be used to describe, for example, removing old entries from a database. – Wooble Apr 4 '13 at 18:18
True! It describes removing any unwanted stuff, not necessarily duplications. On the other hand, if my job involved going through a list or database and eliminating duplicates, I'd describe it as pruning. We're getting down to context, really. – Roberta Davies Apr 4 '13 at 18:58

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.