English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm not a native English speaker and sometimes I encounter article "the" used in stressed form before some noun or name, mostly in movies, like "That's not the gun, that's THE gun" or "He is THE specialist". Is it correct or common use of this article for emphasizing something outstanding? Is it allowed in written form?

share|improve this question
It is perfectly correct, but in formal work it should be typographically represented in italics rather than all-caps. – StoneyB Apr 3 '13 at 12:24
...or -- less commonly -- bold, or small caps. – Andrew Leach Apr 3 '13 at 13:13
@AndrewLeach Small caps are greatly preferred in proper typesetting. Bold faces are much too heavy in normal print. – tchrist Apr 3 '13 at 17:00
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Having 'THE' emphasized draws attention to the article, stressing the fact that this is 'the' gun, as opposed to 'a' gun... in other words, it is highlighting that it is a specific gun, not simply one gun out of many.

It is generally used to point out that something is in some way exceptional or highly relevant.

share|improve this answer
Thanks, I thought of this usage, but wasn't sure – A.S. Apr 3 '13 at 22:21

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.