English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The noises made by electronic devices (lamps, electronic chargers, etc.) sound to me like a high-pitched,barely audible "zzzzzz".

In my mind is the word "buzz". Beyond that I don't really know.

What word should I use to describe them?

share|improve this question
Welcome to English Language & Usage. The word coming to mind is whine. As it stands the question is incomplete. Please edit to add research you did before asking an expert, and specifically what words you considered and why you were not satisfied with them. Thanks. – MετάEd Mar 31 '13 at 3:47
What does the noise sound like? Click, hum, buzz, burr, beep, whir ... there's lots of electronic noises. You'll need to be more descriptive and in being that, may find your own answer. – teylyn Mar 31 '13 at 7:58

This is usually referred to as humming.

share|improve this answer
Also whine or whistle. Hum is very common for the 50 or 60 Hz line voltage sound, but I personally have never heard hum used for the high pitched variety. There's ringing but that is characteristically used when the high pitched sound is in your ears, not in a device. – MετάEd Mar 31 '13 at 4:01
While it indeed is 'referred to as humming,' it is not usually. See also: sweetwater.com/insync/hum – Kris Mar 31 '13 at 7:45

Depends on the device. A variety of onomatopoetic words would be serviceable--buzz or hmmmmm, for instance; but your particular device might not make that noise. In the case of sound effects, remember that you're free to improvise on the spelling. :-)

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.