English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a technical term for when verbs in a sentence appear as if they have been swapped around as in the example here?

'her fingers creased in gold [and] her body ringed in folds'

In this line, the poet appears to have swapped transitive verbs so that a hall of mirrors is created; the gold refers to the rings, the creases to the folds, the rings to the fingers, and the creases to the body.

I know what the poet is doing, but I have searched online for the technical term for swapping transitive verbs from their expected contexts and am unable to find any.

share|improve this question

closed as not a real question by MετάEd, tchrist, Robusto, cornbread ninja 麵包忍者, Kristina Lopez Apr 2 '13 at 17:20

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Deliberately misusing words is a form of catachresis, but I don't think that captures the idea of swapping ringed and creased from their more natural contexts. – donothingsuccessfully Mar 31 '13 at 8:09

You can take either "metaphor" or "transposition" as being accurate, but I would go ahead and invent the term "transpositional metaphor" to do the whole job here.

share|improve this answer
Many thanks for both of your very useful answers. – Swannie Apr 1 '13 at 14:12

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.