English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In the manga/anime world you sometimes come across panes that show some of the characters of a certain manga or anime series arranged into columns. Here are some examples:

Bleach Gotei 13

Bleach Main Characters

Steins;Gate Characters

Is there a technical term for such panes? The closest word I can think of is "character roster", but those usually arrange the characters in a grid, rather than in columns.

share|improve this question

closed as too localized by kiamlaluno, tchrist, Hellion, cornbread ninja 麵包忍者, Robusto Mar 28 '13 at 15:47

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

maybe ask on Anime & Manga? – Matt E. Эллен Apr 13 '13 at 10:25
Found the word I was looking for, it's triptych. – python dude Apr 28 '14 at 19:06

I don't know any proper manga or anime terms. But you might consider calling those layouts character capsules, character slices, or character mini-flashbacks.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.