English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a word that would refer to a number or a letter, but not any other character (like a comma or an exclamation mark)?

share|improve this question

An alphanumeric character is one which is either alphabetic or numeric — that is, either a letter or a digit. As a noun, we can talk about alphanumerics for the collection of them, as I do here in this answer.

The term alphanumeric does not include punctuation, symbols, combining characters (like diacritics), spacing characters, or control characters.

share|improve this answer
Ah. Is there a corresponding noun? – stephenwade Mar 24 '13 at 0:07
@stephenwade You could just call them alphabetics, the way people call things diacritics (which are usually combining characters). – tchrist Mar 24 '13 at 0:37
Do you mean alphanumerics? – MετάEd Mar 24 '13 at 1:26
@MετάEd Ulp, yeah. – tchrist Mar 24 '13 at 1:35
Alphanumeric can be used as a noun, but mostly used by itself with the words character/field/string implied. Whereas, 'alphanumerics' is a collective term. – Blessed Geek Mar 24 '13 at 4:19

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.