English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Does the word recommendee exist? If so, is it spelled as such?

What would be the opposite, or the person who is doing the recommending?

share|improve this question
I guess just related since I think you're asking for a slightly different thing. What is the person called whom you give a recommendation? – Em1 Mar 21 '13 at 8:29
Thanks! To give some context to the question: I'm asking about a person who recommends (recommender) a product to another person (recomendee). Spellchecker marks both of these words as incorrect. – bernk Mar 21 '13 at 8:35
In what context is this recommendation happening? In some contexts, nominee might work for the person who is recommended. – Marthaª Mar 21 '13 at 14:41
How is this question different from @Em1 's question? – coleopterist Mar 21 '13 at 14:42
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Recommender is explicitly listed in ODO, and as the -er suffix produces an agent noun, it's obviously someone doing the recommending.

It would be unusual to use recommendee as the recipient of a recommendation (although such a usage does exist with referee). The -ee form can mean such a recipient, or it can refer to a person who is being recommended; with recommend I would certainly expect this latter use.

Because of the ambiguity, it would be better to use a different word for both what or who is recommended (that might be subject, perhaps) and the person receiving the recommendation. As the other question implies, there is no easy way of specifying that; but for the purpose of identification you could use recipient.

share|improve this answer

One could try a pseudo-Latin word recommendand

OED has recommendum from 1599, but seems unsure of its meaning

OED also has recommendator, but that seems to mean recommender

share|improve this answer

The person who actually is recommended, let's say, as a worker to an employer, is a referee.

I am not sure on which name stands for the person making the referral, if this is what you are also asking.

But for sure the word you were looking for a person who is recommended by another person is referee.

share|improve this answer
In normal usage, the referee is the person from whom the reference is sought. That is the person to whom the potential employee is referred for an opinion. The referrer is the applicant, because he is referring the new employer to someone else. To call someone being recommended a referee is unusual to say the least. – St John of the Cross Mar 21 '13 at 9:32

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.