English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What do we call those points on the sea shores where rivers join the sea?

share|improve this question
...in particular, my answer there contains the answer to this question, as well as several other river-related geographic terms that you might find helpful (as do some of the other answers there). – T.E.D. Mar 20 '13 at 16:59

A river joins the sea at its mouth. That emphasizes the river, though, not the shoreline.

There are fancier words like estuary, firth, inlet, and the like, which perhaps better draw attention to what happens to the strand at that point, but mouth of the river is the most common.

share|improve this answer
My vote goes to estuary. – moonstar2001 Mar 20 '13 at 17:08
There are lots of words for such things, depending on which points are salient, and how one determines them. From the ocean, you could call it a landing or just a river. From the land, you might get a delta, or a swamp, or an estuary, or a bay, or a waterfall, or just about anything. There isn't a single word for every possible way of categorizing nature; there can't be. – John Lawler Mar 20 '13 at 17:56
@JohnLawler Are you being punny with salient? :) – tchrist Mar 20 '13 at 18:04
No, but it does illustrate how one can find metaphors when one is looking for them, doesn't it? Salience is semantics jargon for importance to a concept, like in a barroom fight, size and speed are salient variables, while eye color and nose size are not. – John Lawler Mar 20 '13 at 18:37
@JohnLawler Yes, John, I know. I also know where it comes from. I was referring the kind of sal- one takes cum grano salis. – tchrist Mar 20 '13 at 19:29

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.