English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a friend who prefer seeing diagrams rather than reading words. Is there an adjective to represent his character?

share|improve this question
I use visualist for that. – lexeme Mar 18 '13 at 13:52
up vote 6 down vote accepted

In educational circles, there is a term visual learner ... LINK

enter image description here

here is another link

share|improve this answer
wow. the site at the end of that link is horrible. you'd think people talking about visual learning would make something you could see. – Matt E. Эллен Mar 18 '13 at 13:55
Unreadably low contrast – mplungjan Mar 18 '13 at 14:01
Excuse me, additional question: And what is the name for people who learn by reading? – kiss my armpit Mar 18 '13 at 14:05
I don't know about that particular site ... but some forms of dislexia are aggravated by black-and-white high-contrast texts, and helped by soothing, subtle shades. Or, some people just have no expertise in making web pages... – GEdgar Mar 18 '13 at 14:08
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." (then Confucius is an visual-kinesthetic learner). – kiss my armpit Mar 18 '13 at 14:19

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.