Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I mean person who administrates something is called administrator. Person who manages something is called manager. How to call a person who works with statistics?

share|improve this question

closed as general reference by tchrist, simchona Mar 16 '13 at 3:24

This question is too basic; it can be definitively and permanently answered by a single link to a standard internet reference source designed specifically to find that type of information. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I don't think your line of reasoning is quite right. A manager doesn't "work with managing", but you would have gotten it if you said that "a mathematician works with math" –  simchona Mar 16 '13 at 3:16
google.com/… –  simchona Mar 16 '13 at 3:24
TIKSN, the "how to call" wording is incorrect in English. You should replace the how with what. You would benefit from reading the discussion at this link english.stackexchange.com/questions/150325/… –  Tristan r Aug 1 '14 at 15:29

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

One calls him or her a "statistician."

share|improve this answer
Could TIKSN not find this in a dictionary? Or is EL&U now so well-established that one comes here before a dictionary? If so, it seems to have worked. –  GEdgar Mar 16 '13 at 3:02
@GEdgar I would really like to know how to look up a word of which I only know the meaning. You know, as a English learner, I often don't know how to express myself because I can't find a suitable phrase. –  zwangxian Mar 16 '13 at 4:25
In this case, look in the dictionary near the entry "statistics" to find related words. –  GEdgar Mar 16 '13 at 13:38

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.