English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Possible Duplicate:
How to form single, double, triple… and uni-, bi-, tri-… words?

There's single, double, triple, quadruple... — what's next? Is there an end to the "-uple"s?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Robusto, RegDwigнt, mmyers Jan 31 '11 at 20:54

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

up vote 2 down vote accepted

It would seem that it is tuple (or, rather, -ple) all the way beyond that:


share|improve this answer
  • double
  • triple
  • quadruple
  • quintuple
  • sextuple
  • septuple
  • octuple
share|improve this answer

Here's a table from on Wiktionary:

Coef  Noun       Result 
1     single 
2     double     doublet 
3     triple     triplet 
4     quadruple  quadruplet 
5     quintuple  quintuplet 
6     sextuple   sextuplet 

I've never heard of anything beyond sextuple.

share|improve this answer
septuple, octuple, nonuple?, decuple – HorusKol Jan 31 '11 at 4:24

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.