English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

For example:

  • The movie contains violent scenes, (that usually can be seen in) the Tarantino movies.
  • He barely know us, but gave us a warm welcome, (that's usually given by) close friends.

What word can be used instead of phrases in the brackets?


I've found the word inherent which seems to have meaning close to what I'm looking for. Correct me if I'm wrong.

There are liability issues inherent in undercover journalism.

share|improve this question

closed as not a real question by Carlo_R., Bravo, tchrist, MετάEd, StoneyB Mar 10 '13 at 0:24

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Not much of a language expert I am, and it's not a single word either, but I think "typical of" can replace both your phrases. – Vivek Mar 9 '13 at 9:50
You mean -esque? thefreedictionary.com/-esque In the manner of; resembling: Lincolnesque. – Kris Mar 9 '13 at 10:14
close-friendesque? – Edwin Ashworth Mar 9 '13 at 10:36

I don't think there is one particularly good word for these phrases, nor do I think you should try to use only one word. These would be better expressed in the following ways (among others):

The movie contains violent scenes, the type often seen in Tarantino movies.

He barely knows us, but gave us a warm welcome, the kind he usually reserves for close friends.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.