English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Some people visualise specific musical keys or chords as specific colours. There is a name for this, which I think starts with chromo-. Am I remembering this correctly?

share|improve this question
"Perfect pitch" – Sarah Mar 8 '13 at 5:07
up vote 10 down vote accepted

The general term is synesthesia, for any combination of senses (laymen also sometimes speak of "intersensoriality"), and sound-color synesthesia, or chromesthesia, for sounds and colors in particular.

Chromesthesia or sound to color synesthesia is a type of synesthesia in which heard sounds automatically and involuntarily evoke an experience of color

share|improve this answer

chromesthesia is a specific form of the general synesthesia and is a neurological condition in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.