English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Recently I was looking at the X-Men box set and saw that currently five have been released.

I had it in my head that these would be called a quintology but I have seen them being called a pentalogy.

I assume both words are interchangeable, but is one of the terms preferred over the other, or is it a matter of taste?

share|improve this question
It’s just a series, actually. – tchrist Mar 6 '13 at 18:00
I've heard 'a trilogy in five parts'...amazon.co.uk/Hitch-Hikers-Guide-Galaxy-Trilogy/dp/0434003484 :) – Merk Mar 8 '13 at 6:50
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Pentalogy is the "correct" (as these things go) term. It comes from penta + logy which are both Greek. Quintology, on the other hand, is a mixture of Latin and Greek roots, a practice which is not linguistically kosher. Similarly, it should be tetralogy rather than quadrilogy.

share|improve this answer
I don’t know why people want to make up icky long words just to describe an n-part series. As for the miscegenated part of it, well, without that we’d be stuck talking about idemsexuals. Hm, maybe that would be better, now wouldn’t it? :) – tchrist Mar 6 '13 at 18:17
"Television? No good will come of it. A bastard word, half Greek, half Latin." (C P Scott, usually quoted with three words omitted). – TimLymington Mar 6 '13 at 18:59
I assume the term pentuple would be used instead of quintuple as well? – PriestVallon Mar 6 '13 at 23:52
In the case of quintuple, you have two Latin roots: quintus (five) and plus (fold), although Merriam-Webster's Eleventh Collegiate Dictionary points out that plus is akin to both the Latin word plenum (full) and the Greek word pleion (more). – Sven Yargs Mar 7 '13 at 0:47
@SvenYargs: the Latin for -fold is actually -plex, as in triplex and quintuplex – TimLymington Mar 7 '13 at 13:25

Pentad and quincunx could also be used. The latter more often describes a pattern with five coplanar points, such as ones found on dominoes or dice.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.