English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How to name a category of tall objects that are designed to stand on the floor as opposed to standing on a table? The tabletop objects are shorter than the freestanding objects and I cannot use "freestanding".

share|improve this question
Floor-standing? – cornbread ninja 麵包忍者 Feb 27 '13 at 23:59
Tabletop is not a word that has an antonym. – Kit Z. Fox Feb 28 '13 at 0:47
up vote 3 down vote accepted

As Chatkillah notes in the comments, floor-standing is used for things that are designed to stand on the floor. For example, the tall speakers that rest on the floor in home theatres are called floor-standing speakers.

share|improve this answer
'floor-standing' seems the most accurate. I really needed this! thank you coleopterist and @chatkillah – YWSW Feb 28 '13 at 15:01

Table lamps go on the table while floor lamps go on the floor. Does this help you?

share|improve this answer
I'm not sure what your answer is. Could you clarify please? – Kit Z. Fox Feb 28 '13 at 0:40

The word is "pedestal". You may have heard of pedestal lamps, pedestal fans etc.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.