Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was asked by my teacher to turn quilt into a verb.

I don't see the corresponding verb in the Oxford Dictionary.

share|improve this question
It's in at least one online Oxford dictionary. –  Andrew Leach Feb 27 '13 at 11:38
My guess is that you wrote a sentence in which "quilt" appears as a noun, and your teacher wants you to rearrange the sentence so that quilt becomes a verb. I'd have to see the sentence to be able to tell you what changes are involved, but if you had written "The women were busy working on a quilt all afternoon," you could rephrase it as "The women busily quilted all afternoon." –  Sven Yargs Feb 27 '13 at 18:45
add comment

closed as general reference by Matt Эллен, tchrist, Kristina Lopez, ghoppe, cornbread ninja 麵包忍者 Feb 27 '13 at 16:36

This question is too basic; it can be definitively and permanently answered by a single link to a standard internet reference source designed specifically to find that type of information.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

1 Answer

The verb form is the same: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/quilt so to me it seems like a strange question from your teacher.

share|improve this answer
Yes,but i am orderd to change it from noun to verb,then,what would i write? –  Language Feb 27 '13 at 11:37
The verb form of the noun quilt is to quilt. –  Fortiter Feb 27 '13 at 11:39
Yes, it sounds like the teacher involved would want that answer. I'd require: The verb form of the noun quilt is (also) quilt. (The base form of the verb is quilt; to quilt is the to-infinitive, not the base form (though the to-infinitive often occurs in writing and speech, of course - even in the dictionary definitions). Most dictionaries now sensibly list the base form as a headword. Ask the teacher to check in a modern online dictionary, not 1983 Chambers.) –  Edwin Ashworth Feb 27 '13 at 11:56
You could also provide an example: "the archers spotted the assassin sneaking in and quilted him with arrows". –  SF. Feb 27 '13 at 12:11
Yes, as others have commented, you need to just answer that it is the same. It could almost be called a "trick question", I would say. –  Anders Svensson Feb 28 '13 at 21:22
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.