English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If say one party has agreed to paint a shed and is now getting nagged by the nagger to do it. Is there a term better than "nagger"?

share|improve this question
I'd call such a person a tenacious pest, a broken record, or a pit-bull nag. – user21497 Feb 26 '13 at 17:16
It's certainly understandable why you're looking for an alternative term: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/With_Apologies_to_Jesse_Jackson – The English Chicken Feb 26 '13 at 17:42
@TheEnglishChicken LOL. That's certainly something to keep in mind. – Kit Sunde Feb 26 '13 at 18:58
One who nags is a "nag". – Hot Licks Apr 13 '15 at 2:23
If it's a woman who is "overbearing", you could call her a termagant. google.com/… – Brian Hitchcock Apr 13 '15 at 6:33

Fishwife could be relevant if the context is right...

A woman regarded as coarse and shrewishly abusive

Or just a nag (rather than a nagger.)

share|improve this answer

Noun scold (“A person fond of abusive language, in particular a troublesome and angry woman”) also is relevant. (Note, wiktionary tags it as obsolete.)

share|improve this answer

"needler", "nettler", "harrasser", and my favorite, "haranguer" (from harangue) in this context:

verb [with object] lecture (someone) at length in an aggressive and critical manner, "he harangued the public on their ignorance"

share|improve this answer

Interestingly, many terms for "one who nags" (including fishwife and scold, nominated above) apply solely or primarily to a woman—a phenomenon that I can't say does our language proud. Other terms of this type include hen (whence hen-pecked), shrew, termagant, harridan, harpy, and (a Yiddish term) klippeh. Given their sex bias, I would advise against using any of them.

Fortunately, Yiddish also offers three excellent and more-or-less gender-neutral terms: kvetcher, nudnik, and noodge, the last of which I use regularly. If you're limited to plain English, I second the previous suggestions of nag and pest.

share|improve this answer

The bare stem "nag" can be used on its own to refer to someone who nags: "You're such a nag!"

Merriam Webster online gives it as their third definition of the word:

one who nags habitually

"Nag" as a noun can also refer to an old or unhealthy/low-quality horse, but it is unlikely the two usages would be confused in context.

share|improve this answer

protected by tchrist Apr 13 '15 at 2:06

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.