English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a word of phrase for someone who denies their own statement?

It’s like when somebody snitches and then denies having done so.

share|improve this question
Besides "liar", right? That's a good question. – Joe Z. Feb 23 '13 at 20:31
He'd probably call himself "a victim of misquotation." – Sven Yargs Feb 23 '13 at 21:09
double-crosser? – Oliver Mason Feb 23 '13 at 21:36
why specifically Canadian English? Do you have reason to believe Canadians use a different word for this than other English-speaking people? – Kate Gregory Feb 23 '13 at 23:22

Recanter noun (formal) a person who makes a repudiation or withdrawal of a former belief or statement, esp formally in public (Collins English Dictionary)

from recant (v.) 1530s, from Latin recantare "recall, revoke," from re- "back" (see re-) + cantare "to chant" (see chant (v.)). A word from the Reformation. Loan-translation of Greek palinoidein "recant," from palin "back" + oeidein "to sing." (Online Etymology Dictionary)

share|improve this answer
But would that not be a deliberate and public retraction, rather than underhand denial as implied by the question? Recanter sounds too honourable for that. – Oliver Mason Feb 23 '13 at 22:27
@OliverMason no, recanting just means that they recanted. It can be a deeply dishonourable thing to do, depending on just what was recanted and why. – Jon Hanna Feb 24 '13 at 1:46

In legal parlance, a witness can sometimes turn hostile or contradict himself.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.