English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a particular term for the abbreviated language used in headlines (removed of at least articles and conjunctions)?

share|improve this question
Related – Robusto Feb 22 '13 at 18:13
up vote 5 down vote accepted

Mårdh (1980) refers to this type of language as "headlinese". (Mårdh, Ingrid. 1980. Headlinese: On the grammar of English front page headlines. Malmö: CWK Gleerup.) See also this Wikipedia page.

share|improve this answer
Perfect! Thank you. I suppose I should have known to check Wikipedia first! – Jessie Feb 22 '13 at 17:23

A particularly bewildering headline can be referred to as a crash blossom. This term was taken from the headline: "Violinist linked to JAL crash blossoms".

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.