English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Do these variations mean anything different, or is one more correct?

I have been accepted onto a course at the University of Stack Exchange

I have been accepted to the Masters programme

Are there any other variations?

share|improve this question
Correctness has no degrees. Something is either correct or incorrect. You could say most appropriate though. – Kris Feb 22 '13 at 10:34
onto sounds archaic to my ears. – Mr Lister Feb 22 '13 at 13:15
@Kris This seems at odds with Quirk and Svartvik's suggested 5-point gradience for acceptability of constructions. They deal with the reality that some people will accept as correct a construction that others won't. If we are to use a higher-level definition of correctness and incorrectness, there will be an awful lot of constructions in neither set. – Edwin Ashworth Oct 2 '15 at 17:07
@EdwinAshworth OLD-O Acceptability: "the degree to which something is agreed or approved of by most people in a society" (emphasis mine) oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/acceptability ibid., Correct: accurate or true, without any mistakes oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/… – Kris Oct 6 '15 at 13:51
@Kris 'Who says that "correct" is a binary predicate? It's just as incremental as any other adjective. And stop worrying about grammatical fo paz. You don't know enough to worry properly yet. – John Lawler' {Is using “more correct” a grammatical faux pas?}. // Didn't you spot the later example in OLD: 'He is always very correct in his speech.'? Or are we free to select just the sense we like best? – Edwin Ashworth Oct 25 '15 at 22:11

"Accepted into a course" is the usual wording for these things.

share|improve this answer

Into or to would be correct for both, with into the more usual in both cases.

At or to for "...accepted at the University...".

share|improve this answer

Accepted into a course is American English. Accepted onto a course is more common in British English.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.