English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

An electronics engineer wanted to order a multimeter with a PSI faceplate. Does anyone know what it is ?

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by Robusto, tchrist, James McLeod, Lynn, nohat Feb 21 '13 at 7:16

Questions on English Language & Usage Stack Exchange are expected to relate to English language and usage within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

up vote 0 down vote accepted

Additional context is needed to say for sure, but without that context one may surmise it is a faceplate for a moving-coil meter (ie, having a d'Arsonval movement) calibrated to read out in pounds per square inch. For example, if the meter were used in conjunction with a pressure module (eg a Crystal Engineering H20/PSI unit), one could read pressure directly via the scale on the faceplate.

share|improve this answer
Yes, I believe that's correct. And they also may have meant a "PSI" faceplate compared to some other units of pressure (commonly kPA in Europe, I believe). – Lynn Feb 21 '13 at 5:18

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.