English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How do you call a gesture of spreading one's hands and turning them palms up to suggest a question? As in "what did you just do, man? That was so weird that left me speechless, so I had to raise my hands to show you I'm asking you stuff" or "Huh?"

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by Rory Alsop, Kristina Lopez, cornbread ninja 麵包忍者, MετάEd, tchrist Feb 20 '13 at 23:01

Questions on English Language & Usage Stack Exchange are expected to relate to English language and usage within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

How about a questioning gesture? – cornbread ninja 麵包忍者 Feb 20 '13 at 17:18
Here's your chance to coin one! – James Webster Feb 20 '13 at 17:21
Closest single word would be "shrug" ? – mgb Feb 20 '13 at 18:17
@mgb, shrug is a gesture but it's not necessarily made with one's hands, could also be with the shoulders – Lson Feb 20 '13 at 18:19

A common phrase for a questioning gesture is "spreading his hands". If emphatic, the phrase might become "spreading his hands wide".

"How should I know where he went?" he asked, spreading his hands wide.

share|improve this answer

As with most complex situations, there is no single word in English for the gesture that you are describing. Instead, a multiword description of what you mean, perhaps as you have just done, is how one talks about it.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.