English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My apologies if this is off topic.

American and British writing have different punctuation styles. Is there any software that can change American style punctuation to British? I am referring to punctuation, not spelling. A simple example would be changing the American styled

"Hello," he said.

to what (I think is) the British styled

'Hello', he said.

I am not entirely certain about the particulars which is why I need this tool in the first place.

share|improve this question

migrated to writers.stackexchange.com by Kit Z. Fox Feb 15 '13 at 18:38

This question belongs on our site for authors, editors, reviewers, professional writers, and aspiring writers.

The "British" style includes punctuation inside the quotes if it's part of the quoted phrase, so while conversion from "British" to "American" is trivial, it's lossy, making 100% accurate conversion from "American" to "British" impossible. – Jon Hanna Feb 15 '13 at 17:25
It's also not really possible to define "British". I use double-quotes first because they don't get confused with apostrophes; and I was taught that at school. – Andrew Leach Feb 15 '13 at 17:44
I have to edit a text that is a horrible jumble of what I consider American and what I consider British punctuation styles. All I really want is to make it consistent, one style or the other and I would like to do it automatically. Perhaps a general "punctuation corrector"? Pretty sure it won't exist but I thought I'd ask. – terdon Feb 15 '13 at 17:47
sed "s/,\"/\",/g" – Mitch Feb 15 '13 at 18:04
I sent this to Writers.SE because I think they can help you there. – Kit Z. Fox Feb 15 '13 at 18:48