English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I’m looking for a word which describes all of buttons, zippers, and pegs — or any objects used to secure clothing, such as on the face of a t-shirt or jacket.

I’ve considered using seal and connector, but they seem out of place in the context of clothing. I’m not looking for a specialized word specifically for these things, but something which they appropriately fall under.

(It will be the name of a parameter in the description of an item of clothing in a program which can have one of the values listed above.)

share|improve this question
Not a single word, but if you search using Clothing Fastener, Google images returns visuals of all the items in your list. – Autoresponder Feb 9 '13 at 5:41
up vote 4 down vote accepted

I suggest fastening (“a hook or similar restraint used to fasten things together”). By the way, if you were referring to snaps, catches, etc. as used with jewelry, the proper word probably would be finding (“A self-contained component of assembled jewellery”). By extension, snaps and hooks used with clothing might also be called findings.

share|improve this answer
'Fastening' is perfect. Thanks! – Anti Earth Feb 9 '13 at 5:44
Since the mid-1950s, "fasteners" has become more common than "fastenings". See <books.google.com/ngrams/…; – Fortiter Feb 9 '13 at 7:45

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.