I am creating a glossary that includes both acronyms and multi-word definitions, and I'm wondering if there is a standard/most-appropriate way to sort them.
I have tried to search for alphabetization rules and come across seemingly conflicting standards. A few are listed below. There is no governing standard at my organization, so I'm having a hard time choosing which is most appropriate. Perhaps all are equally valid - that's why I'm asking.
- NSIO - alphabetize acronyms letter by letter, as written
- Dartmouth University - alphabetize acronyms as if they were spelled out
- McGraw Hill - alphabetize 'unit by unit', with an acronym being a single unit
- Something I Remember But Can't Find an Online Source For - put the acronyms at the front of a given letter section (in order), followed by the real phrases.
Here is a contrived example.
- NASA - See National Aeronautics and Space Administration.
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration - The US space agency...
- NATO - See North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization - A military alliance...
(Sorted here based on letter-by-letter)