English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

From the same people who brought us "ask" as a noun comes a new idiom that I haven't heard of before: to "walk the wall."

I haven't heard this myself, but my sister (who is an IT consultant) asked me what it means, which means that I will likely be subjected to this very soon as well.

My speculative guess is that it means to try to get an idea of the scope of a problem by "walking" around it at a high level, but I have no idea as I haven't heard it in context.

share|improve this question
Are you sure it might not have been walk the walk? – Jon Hanna Feb 6 '13 at 17:39
In what context has she heard it? I would guess it is akin to "walking the perimeter," which refers to patrolling territorial boundaries and can be used in an IT security context. – Kit Z. Fox Feb 6 '13 at 17:43
hmmm. Urban dictionary has an interesting definition for "walk the wall". What has your research borne out, @fluffy? – Kristina Lopez Feb 6 '13 at 18:24
@Jon: The first couple of instances here seem to be for OP's usage (which I'd never heard of before). – FumbleFingers Feb 6 '13 at 18:25
@FumbleFingers I think you may well have the answer. – Jon Hanna Feb 6 '13 at 19:52
up vote 7 down vote accepted

"Walk the Wall" can refer to a kind of Stand-Up meeting in which the group goes through each item of work in their "wall" and talks about its progress.


share|improve this answer
Looks good to me. Wallboard, wall chart, flipchart, story board, status board are standard terminology in the management "show and tell" game, and the guy who has to stand up and explain what it all means is as likely to walk through it as talk it through. – FumbleFingers Feb 6 '13 at 18:47
My sister got a partial answer from some of her clients that it was "essentially a deep dive on process flow." I'm not sure that definition quite matches up with yours. But who knows what any of this management-speak lingo means anymore. – fluffy Feb 6 '13 at 22:32
What does this mean? : "essentially a deep dive on process flow." – Puzbie Feb 7 '13 at 0:03
@FacebookAnswers Exactly! – fluffy May 28 '13 at 16:35

Walk the wall is a military term for "guard a border, watch those on the outside, keep those on the inside safe".

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.