English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am working on charts to show every day climate parameters such as temperature and precipitation over a period of time. I used the term "time-evolving charts". Is there a better term to show the evolution over time for these charts or diagrams? Besides, I want to use a better term for "climatic parameters"

share|improve this question
"climatic parameters" sounds appropriate for this reason. Why do you want to change it? – user36922 Feb 6 '13 at 10:49
yes, maybe you are right. But my main issue is finding a better term for the charts – f.ashouri Feb 6 '13 at 10:58

If you search for images defined by "time series", you will see that this is the common term for the types of chart you describe.

share|improve this answer

You could use "Temporal-Climate" charts/diagrams.

share|improve this answer

The term time-lapse is used in describing a photographic technique

denoting the photographic technique of taking a sequence of frames at set intervals to record changes that take place slowly over time. When the frames are shown at normal speed the action seems much faster.

While I am not aware of its application outside of actual photography, it could be adapted to your use in a phrase like time-lapse climate charts. This would be especially appropriate if you intended to show them in rapid succession to reflect a changing patern.

As to climate parameters, if you wish to emphasize the change, you could say climate trends or weather trends.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.