English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

With a crack like a whip, Dobby vanished.

I'm studying English using the Harry Potter books. I can't seem to find this expression in any dictionary, however. Google returns no results at all (except for Harry Potter itself and one other, unknown, piece of writing).

So, is this a commonly used and/or existing and/or correct expression?

share|improve this question
I think this is General Reference/Not Constructive. The meaning of "crack" here is trivial, given that one of the main purposes of a whip is to make a sudden cracking sound. And I don't think there's any point in ELU pontificating over exactly how common transparent expressions like this are. – FumbleFingers Feb 5 '13 at 19:31
You are right. This is my mistake. I should've seen it myself... – Kevin Keunen Feb 5 '13 at 19:40
We all sometimes fail to see the obvious, so I don't have a problem with the fact of you asking the question. I just think things like this should be answered in comments, and the question closed. – FumbleFingers Feb 5 '13 at 19:45
up vote 2 down vote accepted

It's a perfectly correct expression, but not very common in that form, perhaps because not many things crack like a whip! It's as good a simile as any though.

share|improve this answer
That's what I thought. My fault! – Kevin Keunen Feb 5 '13 at 19:23
And crack as the name of the sound a whip makes is well attested. So whip crack-away, whip crack-away, whip crack-away! – Jon Hanna Feb 5 '13 at 23:41

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.