English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've been racking my brain and I can't seem to think of an adjective that means "firmly held aloft". For example, a weathercock may be firmly held aloft at the top of a pole. A sign may be firmly held aloft at the top of a scaffold. A TV aerial may be firmly held aloft at the top of a house's ceiling. I'd like a single adjective for this (for brevity), so I can say something like:

I noticed the [firmly-held-aloft] weathercock on the church.
He pulled himself up by the [firmly-held-aloft] handlebars.
You could clearly see the time on the [firmly-held-aloft] clock.

I guess it's kind of the antonym of "dangling". Can anyone think of any such adjectives?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

You could say the item was mounted (meaning 5).

To set in a raised position: mount a bed on blocks.

share|improve this answer

Try using mounted, upheld, hoisted, bolstered, buttressed, or reinforced in an adjective clause.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.