English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What word should I use to describe something that is not very loud? for example

I am sick of his loud alarm, it always wakes me up.

Should I use light alarm or ringtone or something else?

share|improve this question
Quiet and its synonyms? – coleopterist Jan 30 '13 at 6:42
I GET ANNOYED WHEN PEOPLE YELL LOUDLY WITH ALL CAPS. Especially when they obnoxiously attempt to ALARM me. It would be more effective if they wrote to me in the gentle quietness of usual lower case, and only YELL occasionally. – Blessed Geek Jan 30 '13 at 8:04

I would use the terms "soft" or "gentle".

share|improve this answer

You can use either calm or soft!

share|improve this answer

In this context, I would go for hushed, muffled or subdued.

Eg: This darn alarm is so hushed/muffled/subdued that I can hardly hear it!

share|improve this answer

In the context of phone ringtones (and TV remote controls) it increasingly means silent, rather than of low sound volume, but...

muted - (of a sound or voice) quiet and soft

...seems potentially appropriate to me ("...I wish he'd get an alarm with a more muted tone.")

As can be seen from many instances of the muted tones of in Google Books, besides the literal sense, it's also often used figuratively (of pastel colours, subdued lighting, etc.)

share|improve this answer

In this case I would suggest unobtrusive

unobtrusive : Not undesirably noticeable or blatant; inconspicuous.

Since I expect that to be in any way effective, the alarm must still be audible. Otherwise at the far other end of the spectrum from loud is inaudible.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.