English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Possible Duplicate:
What is the category name to describe “day”, “night”, or “dusk”?

What would be the hypernym for the various divisions of the day such as morning, noon, evening or night?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Andrew Leach, Jon Hanna, tchrist, RegDwigнt Jan 27 '13 at 14:52

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.


Though not a single word, "time of day" is used when referring to a particular part of the day, as in your examples.

"What time of day did the crime occur?".

"Early morning."

share|improve this answer

Arbitrary divisions of time are often called periods.

Sometimes the word hour itself is used, as a synecdoche, to represent part of a day. Cf. the morning hour, the midnight hour, the dinner hour, etc.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.