English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Moving here does not mean moving to a new city or something like that. I am talking about the people that just can't stay at one place. It is impossible for them to sit put at one place and relax.

share|improve this question
+1 FOR THE -1. ______________ – Russell McMahon Jan 27 '13 at 3:10
New Yorkers, perhaps? – nbubis Sep 4 '13 at 23:35

10 Answers 10

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Restless, bustling, fidgety, fidgeting, antsy (informal), "in constant nervous motion", "flitting from place to place like a dying bluebottle"(informal), "twitching like a junky in need of a fix" (extremely informal).

share|improve this answer

Are you looking for the word "fidgety"?

share|improve this answer

If you're talking about a person who's unable to sit still (as opposed to having an irresistible urge to travel), the word we used when I was growing up was hyper, short for hyperactive. Nowadays the full name of the diagnosis is Attention Deficit / Hyperactivity Disorder, or ADHD for short, and I often hear it used as a shorthand term for a person with that diagnosis.

Why's Johnny so hyper today?


Sorry I can't keep Johnny from screaming and running around the restaurant - he's ADHD.

Despite having grown up hearing (and sometimes using) hyper, I can't really recommend either of these - they're both extremely informal, and can be interpreted as either overindulgent of bad behavior OR dismissive of the victims of a serious condition. So be forewarned.

share|improve this answer

Peripatetic. This word could refer to someone who moves or walks about, or who does not stay in one place. I do not believe it implies necessity or compulsion to move.

Itinerant. This word is slightly more broad in definition than peripatetic. It refers to someone who moves from place to place. It may be more appropriate, depending on the context.

share|improve this answer
+1 for peripatetic, which is exactly the word I was thinking of when I saw the question. (I cleaned up the answer's style and diction a bit – apologies if I changed the meaning at all.) – Bradd Szonye Sep 4 '13 at 23:48

I might call them "antsy", or say that they have "ants in their pants", though the latter is pretty informal.

share|improve this answer

Always on the go/agitated/full of nervous agitation/restless/hyper/itchy feet/always up and doing

share|improve this answer

It is impossible for them to sit put at one place and relax?

How about "hyperactive" ?

share|improve this answer

The technical term is akathisia defined as a state of motor restlessness ranging from an inner restlessness to an inability to sit still.

[from a- + -kithisia , ultimately from Greek cathedra seat]]

For more details see wikipedia

share|improve this answer

I'd also call such a person energizer or mike jagger :)

share|improve this answer

I'd say they are in perpetual motion. In Italian, it's moto perpetuo.

share|improve this answer

protected by tchrist Mar 1 '15 at 19:26

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.