English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Does anybody know?

share|improve this question
It depends whether he actually works the land or not, or if he rents it to someone else to work. – Benjol Aug 16 '10 at 6:34
@Benjol give me whatever you have, any version will help me – Omu Aug 16 '10 at 6:36
These days? You could call them "broke", despite their 18 hour days... – corsiKa Jul 15 '14 at 18:35
up vote 1 down vote accepted
  • If he works the land, you could call it an "agricultural tenant" (also "tenant farmer" , but you don' t want the word "farmer" in there)
  • If he owns the lands, "Agricultural Landlord"

The terms "tenant" and "landlord" are good candidates, but can also be applied for other kind of real estates than farms. Hence the "agricultural" qualifier.

share|improve this answer
Careful with these though. It will end up very stitled if you do not watch out. – user459 Aug 16 '10 at 10:06
An "argricultural tenant" does not own the land by definition. An "agricultural landlord" lets the land out to be farmed but doesn't farm it himself. If he owns it and it's used for farming I would go with "agricultural landowner" – DJClayworth Aug 19 '10 at 20:48
Whether they are a tenant or not seems secondary to me. If you want an alternative to "farmer", I would prefer words like "grower", "rancher", "grazier". – Concrete Gannet Mar 28 '12 at 5:09

agriculturalist, grower, rancher, market gardener, agrarian......

share|improve this answer
An Australian wheat producer is always a "grower". It is a sign of city-slicker ignorance to call them a "farmer". – Concrete Gannet Mar 28 '12 at 5:06

"Agricultural/Rural Land owner" or just "Land owner" is also an alternative.

share|improve this answer

"Agricultural landowner" is your best bet.

"Agricultural tenant" implies that he rents the land FROM someone else (and is thus not the owner). "Agricultural landlord" implies that he rents it TO someone else, which may not be the case you are looking for. A landlord is a landowner but a landowner is not necessarily a landlord.

share|improve this answer

I like Ross's suggestions, and I think some answers are getting hung up on a secondary issue, land ownership, when the answer should be focussing on the primary thing, that this person does agricultural work.

I would suggest the following in additon to Ross's answer:

producer, grazier, pastoralist, orchardist

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.