English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In my CV, I am trying to explain that a written recommendation from my previous boss is available upon request.

What is that document called?

share|improve this question
This is General (Reference). – FumbleFingers Jan 21 '13 at 0:49
Voting to close general reference: onelook.com/… – MετάEd Jan 21 '13 at 3:13
up vote 5 down vote accepted

It's a reference (see sense 3).

share|improve this answer

In the UK, at least, it's known as a reference.

share|improve this answer
Attested further afield, also. – Jon Hanna Jan 20 '13 at 13:50

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.